Thursday, February 3, 2011

Promise keeper

When I was fairly young my dad took me to a mens conference called "Promise Keepers". It was a weekend long Christian mens retreat in a big arena in Tampa. I only remember bits and pieces of it, as I was really young when I went. But I always remember the drive home when my dad would ask me... "So are you a PK?" And I'd always kinda stare at him with this confused look on my face. He'd smile and say "Are you a promise keeper or a punk kid?" That always made me laugh and take a step back to think "Am I keeping my promises to God? Am I following Him and glorifying him the best I possibly can? Or am I being a rebel?" As I've grown up and moved on from those times in my life, I still ask that question to myself. Am I a promise keeper? Am I glorifying God in my actions, following His will, and ultimately living a Godly life? Unofortunately many times the answer is no. God made a promise to us that He would always love us, never leave us, and always forgive us when we did wrong. The only thing He wants in return is that we seek Him and love Him with all that we have. To live honorable lives according to his Word. There are numerous times I have failed over and over and over. Every single time I know God is there to pick me up and dust me off. He embraces me when I don't deserve it. He extends grace when I'm rebellious.

It always comes back around. Am I a promise keeper? My dad always told me that being a promise keeper was the true measure of a man. A man that keeps his promises to God and the ones he loves showed where his priorities and heart were. Over the past week that has hit me so hard. I not only want to be a man, but I want to be a Godly man who is true to his promises. I want to show God and the ones I love that I am true to my word in every aspect. Yes, It's possible for me to fail but thats only If I let my pride get in the way. I need to lay down my pride and pick up my cross... daily.

Thats whats on my heart and that is what I so strongly am striving for in my day to day life right now. I'm a promise keeper. Are you?

1 comment:

  1. Well said bro! My dad took me to PK retreats as well.

    ReplyDelete